Beth from Doodlebirds is to DYE for...............

Posted by Stitchblade | 10:25 AM Sep 11, 2007

This is Beth and she is such a rockin lady. I have been talking to her for a few years on the internet and she is so cool that I had to share her with y'all.......

Tell me about you and your family......
I am a Navy wife and mother to 4 kids. On top of that I am an artist.



What is your store name and link?
Doodlebirds Creations www.doodlebirds.com







What do you specialize in?
Hand dyed and hand made stuff. Mostly dyed yarn and fiber, but I will dye pretty much anything that will hold still. I sew, and have grand plans for some really cool bags and the like.



How did you get started?
Well I learned to sew when I was about 5. My grandma showed me how. When Doodlebirds Creations came to life, it was about 4 years ago. At that time I was sewing cloth diapers and other baby related items. I took some time off when we were going to have our 4th child. When I came back to start up again I decided I didn't really like sewing the diapers and baby stuff, but I did love dyeing things. I had been dyeing fabric for years, and I had played with the yarn some, so I jumped in with both feet and went with the fiber, and here we are now.




What do you love about your business?
I love that it is mine. I get to choose everything that that goes into my store. I can pick a higher end fiber or fabric and I know I won't be in trouble from someone who would be my boss for spending too much money on our base products. I belive in quality goods, and in order to sell quality goods, you have to start with them. Everything I sell is top of the line wonderful products. I love my work so much I want to keep it all. I love creating all the colors. It is like art. I have always loved art and color, and that is what this is for me.

What is your favorite product right now?
My favorite product right now is our Merino sock yarn. Is is soft and squoosy (is that even a word) and it takes the colors really well. I get the best colors with it! My other fave is (because I can have two if I want) is our brand new Merino single ply lace weight yarn. It is so very nice. I can't want to work with it. I will be making a shawl for myself out of it.

What makes your shop different?
I think what makes my shop different is my sense of style and color. I really like to use a wide variety of colors, fibers and other fun stuff, and they are ever changing. No two store stockings are the same. Also, what makes me different is that I carry a lot of different yarns. I'm not just a sock yarn girl. I carry lace, worsted weight yarns in all sorts of wools and blends and I am adding new ones all the time.

What do you love about handcrafts?
What's not to love? They are handcrafts. Doesn't that say it all? It is so totally awesome to get something someone made by hand. It is even better when you can then make something you love out of it, or use it in a way that makes it very useful.

What are some other sites to find out more about you and what you love to create?
I have an etsy shop. (etsy rocks!) www.doodlebirds.etsy.com
Our shop blog- www.doodlebirds.blogspot.com
And my blog- www.xanga.com/theknittingidiot (the daily goings on and stuff for my life)

What are some of your favorite online shops?
I am all about supporting the indie dyers and crafters, so all of my faves are doing their own thing.

www.limeandviolet.com/shop the ladies behind Lime and Violet rock! They are funny and naughty and put out the best stuff! (and I know them for real!)
www.scoutsswag.com She puts out great yummy stuff you should go buy.
www.yarnnerd.com Because dudes can dye yarn too (and make some darn good stuff)
www.yarnpirate.com (click on yarn pirate shop) Mrs. Yarn Pirate can dye up some mean yarn! I love it so much I am on the booty club.
http://lunastrixae.etsy.com Not yarn, but some really cool needle holders so you don't loose you needles (or hooks) out of your socks or stab yourself like some of us tend to do. (please note, they really don't slow small children down while they are breaking your knitting or crochet)

Also if you stop on over and enter the code stitchblade at check out you will save 10% off your order.

Shop- enter it in the code box.
Etsy- enter it in the notes along with your paypal address and I will send you a revised invoice with your new total.

Look....Beth is so cool she can knit while standing!


| , , | 2 comments »

2 comments

  1. ilse // September 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM  

    but what is not to like about [you and] Beth!!!

    LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. 'Cuz I Felt Like It! // September 17, 2007 at 8:03 PM  

    OH MY GOD! That dog is so damn awesome!