American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists

Posted by Stitchblade | 7:08 AM Nov 7, 2008

I have Endometriosis. Endometriosis is a common gynecological condition among American women of all ages, races and backgrounds. It is more common in women in their 20’s and 30’s, but I was diagnosed when I was just a child. When I was about 13 I had my first surgery to remove some of the cysts that I had developed. This surgery was called a Laparoscopy. The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. Access into the abdomen is obtained through the navel and a harmless gas such as carbon dioxide is used to inflate the abdominal cavity and create a safe working space. I have the teeeeeniest tiniest scar there. I also have one a few inches below that in my pubic line.

The AAGL is the leading association promoting minimally invasive gynecologic surgery among surgeons worldwide.

A new awareness study found that virtually all women expect their OB/GYN to inform them about minimally invasive treatments for common pelvic health disorders (PHDs), yet comparatively few are aware of the newer treatments designed to cause less pain and provide shorter recoveries.

Well, I am here to help inform as well. Luckily I had this awesome doctor that was one of the leading physicians for the study and treatment of Endometriosis. My mother had Endometriosis, so when I started having horrible pains in about the 4Th/5Th grade he made sure to keep an eye on this. I first had an ultrasound and he was able to tell from that. Then later the Laparoscopy was done to remove the cysts so I could get started on a hormonal treatment to help put this in remission. Thanks to this less invasive treatment my chances to have have children were increased and I now have 3 daughters that were conceived without issue. With my daughters I will watch for signs for this as well so they can start any treatment needed at a younger age as my mother did for me.

AAGL, the professional organization of gynecologists interested in endoscopy and minimally invasive gynecology, has retooled its Web site, www.aagl.org, and added a comprehensive patient education section on common gynecologic conditions and the minimally invasive options available to treat them.

I highly suggest checking out the AAGL website. It is full of information that should be passed on to other women who may not know and are living in horrible pain. I know that I myself have told many people about Endometriosis, because I recognized the signs. Most of these women had NEVER heard of the condition and did not know there were these treatments available. Educate yourself!

MomCentral.com is helping to get this information out to everyone, and I was glad to jump in and help since this is an issue that has affected me for most of my life and I have experienced the treatments first hand. I also want you mothers to be aware of this for your daughters.

| , , , , | 1 comments »

1 comments

  1. nikkicrumpet // November 7, 2008 at 8:11 PM  

    Very good information that everyone should have!