Girls Are So Touchy

Posted by Stitchblade | 7:50 AM Dec 24, 2008

I'm a mother to three girls. One of those girls has apparently come in to puberty quite early. She is 10, she is growing like a weed!

Its a funny thing with girls. You really have to be careful of what you say to them, because everything is taken the wrong way. For instance, the other night J and I commented on her outfit, telling her the outfit she was wearing was getting way too small. She freaked, like freaked in a way that would lead to her binging on cheap diet pills if I hadn't nipped it before it was out of control.

I had to explain to her that we just meant she was getting taller. Taller meaning shirts get shorter and jeans show much more butt crack than anyone should ever have to see. We both realized at that moment......from here on out anything we say to her can totally affect her body image. This is definitely a topic that I need to read up on and prepare for. Girls have it so rough with the way they change, so I am going to continue to try to make sure all of my girls are 100% comfortable with themselves

| , , | 2 comments »

2 comments

  1. Unknown // December 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

    This is so true. It's why I debated with my husband and within myself with whether or not I should let my daughter play with Barbies.
    But, what I realized was that most of my daughter's self image wasn't going to be influenced by her playthings, it was going to be heavily effected by what I said, did, and especially thought of MYSELF. I mean, if I'm not okay with ME no matter what society portrayed as beautiful or perfect, what example would she have to find comfort with herself.
    I find myself saying I've gotta get rid of this extra weight SO many times in her presence. Terrible.
    Anyway, good post :)

  2. Anonymous // December 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM  

    I'm so glad that you were able to help her understand that it wasn't a weight thing.

    My daughter is so preoccupied by being skinny... she is super thin and the kids at school tease her for it calling her anorexic. She isn't preoccupied like worried about what she eats... but that she is teased by it and says she needs to gain weight.

    This isn't a battle I wish to have to deal with. Kids can be cruel