Good Things: Freecycle

Posted by Stitchblade | 9:13 PM Aug 3, 2007

I love freecycle, but it really makes me mad when someone emails me and says they want something and they can come pick up right away. You make arrangements to be there for them to pick up the stuff you are GIVING them for FREE and then they do not show? What the heck? I just don't get it. It happens ALL the time. I keep back ups for things now so when I have a no show I go down the list, but it still wastes my time waiting, then having to make other arrangements and then waiting to see if the next person shows. Thankfully today a lady showed up right when she said she would. I freecycled 15 walmart bags stuffed with baby and kids clothes today. I still have a few in my living room but those are being picked up tomorrow. Some of the bags are going to a woman having triplets. WOW, can you imagine? I'm proud of myself for just giving them to others. I had thought about selling them, but I have gotten to where I hate dealing with it. EBay charges so much in fees now that kids clothing isn't worth selling on there like it used to be. Postage has went up so much and that is another reason it is difficult to resell online. Selling it doesn't give you the same feeling that giving it does. It was hard to let go of some of those baby clothes. The teeny tiny Side snap T, the itty bitty shoes, socks, pjs.....awwwwww, but letting it go means that it helps someone else instead of sitting here taking up space. If you have not tried freecycle check it out for your area.

| | 2 comments »

2 comments

  1. heidi @ ggip // August 4, 2007 at 6:31 AM  

    Unfortunately, no shows are a nationwide problem. I counteract it by waiting about a day to decide who to give my stuff to and I clearly ask in my post that people check their schedules and give me a date and two hour time frame that they are sure they can come. I also say that I'm not as concerned about the person who can come the quickest as the person who will actually come when they say they will.

    That helps a lot.

    You're right, it is easier to give stuff away than to sell it. Plus I don't like to give to Goodwill so much because I know they throw so much usable stuff out, then the stuff that is good, they charge outrageous prices for. That doesn't seem that helpful to me.

  2. Stitchblade // August 4, 2007 at 8:34 AM  

    Yea I bet that would help a lot, I guess I just get so excited and impatient that I USUALLY choose one of the first responders. I need to try and be more patient :)