Window Blind Cord Safety

Posted by Stitchblade | 11:21 AM Jul 17, 2008


You think this is something that could never happen until it happens to you or someone you know. I know I thought it could never happen until I met a friend who had to experience this. IT DOES HAPPEN, and I want to link to this site that is giving away FREE kits to make your blinds safer. Please don't wait thinking it could never happen because it CAN happen and it DOES happen! Please read my friends story below:


"At 21 years old i went through the toughest time of my life. I lost my son Jacob Adam James Alexander- at 17 months. I had just moved in to a new apartment...the night before I was putting stuff in my kids room away, put together the crib, and to keep it out of my way I pushed it against the wall closest to it. Also next to the window. As my son and daughter slept I put their clothes away kissed them goodnight ant went to bed. the next morning I went in to check on them, Kylie met me at the door and Jacob still sound asleep, or so I thought. I took a double look at him, his head was cocked funny and the strings to the blinds were around his throat. naturally I freaked, took him out and started CPR, grabbed the phone and called 911- they tried to walk me through CPR as I'm yelling at the lady I know how to ****ing do it just get someone here! He was still warm, so he couldn't have been down but 10 minutes, as they confirmed, they got there and got him breathing again. we were transported to the best children's hospital here in Portland Oregon, as I was settling in to the thought of losing a child I went in to the mode of *numb*,they kept him alive for 20 hours--- the sounds of heart monitor and oxygen levels start spiking, all i can hear is the beeping from the machines. his heart goes in to attack achardia, as it did 4-5 times, they confirmed brain death, Adam, my sons father, wanted to keep him alive, his lil body kept giving out, I made the hardest decision of my life. and he(Adam) backed me 100%, do not resuscitate, "let him go,please leave him alone" I yelled at the doctor. They turned off the machines, and I hit the floor. In the background all I could hear was the song on the radio in his room. somewhere over the rainbow. For some odd reason it almost put me at peace. I knew Jake was OK. Losing a child is never easy, I never said it was......but the celebration of his life out weighed losing him. Though today I sit and cry as I write this, it never gets easier telling the story, but I feel it to be a great healing tactic I use as to tell his story. Of course guilt and depression set in...but I had a lil girl to live for, and hope I can help educate and guide through difficult losses for mothers, fathers, relatives. I hope everyone can find peace in their loss. If you have made it this far I thank you for taking the time to read my story."


This woman is one of the strongest people I have ever met. She uses her loss to educate others about what could happen. A lesson for us all. Please take a moment to take preventive measures in your own home. Thank you!
Edited to add:
You can view Jacobs new memorial webpage here.

| , | 2 comments »

2 comments

  1. In All Things // July 17, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

    Thanks for the information - I just ordered the kits for our home.
    So sorry to read about your friend's loss. :(

  2. Jane Sr. // July 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

    Thanks for this post. We all need to be safe with our children