Kentucky memories

Posted by Stitchblade | 9:47 PM Oct 17, 2008

I remember back when I was in high school, maybe 9th grade? My friend Susie and I went and visited her family that lived in Kentucky. It was such an awesome experience for us. These people lived like Little House on the Prairie. I kid you not. They had water they pumped from a well, oil lanterns, an outhouse, a loft with the ladder, horses, cows, bulls, turkeys, chickens, goats...you name it. Now Susie and I were girls that were used to modern things. We came somewhat prepared....prepared to look good of course. Now you have to realize these days were Aquanet days....you know Camaro hair? Man we had some hair....big hair. I remember we had these snazzy propane powered curling irons. Do you remember those? We were lucky to be able to stay in a pull behind trailer that her dad brought down. It had a bathroom with a shower. We didn't have to use the outhouse thank GOD because of the snakes...yes lots of snakes. I remember one of her many male cousins asking us to go horse back riding. We assumed a short ride.....no....his type of ride was a tour of the Kentucky mountains. Holy cow I could not walk standing up straight for days! Another favorite thing for these Kentucky boys was "caving". Um yea....at night even. They took us "caving" in the scariest most dangerous places at NIGHT. I would like to have gone back there again, it was so cool how they were so self sufficient and lived without many modern things. If I had gone back I would have brought more things with me to make my stay more comfortable. Perhaps a hard hat with a light? Or maybe one of those wind up radios? All in all it was a great time...well except when that one boy sitting in the back seat with me decided to swallow some of that chewing tobacco and immediately upchucked allover the place. I tried so hard to get out of that car! Susie was in the front passenger side and I was in the back passenger side. I begged her to hurry, and well...she tried....but this boy decided to place his hand over his mouth as he heaved and a spray of Ham and Cheese went everywhere. I'll never forget that. I was never able to eat a Ham and Cheese sandwich after that day, heck I can't even look at one.

| , , , , | 1 comments »

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // October 17, 2008 at 10:32 PM  

    Sounds like you had a great holiday, except for the cheese and ham sandwich part.

    Spending time on a self sufficient farm sounds so idyllic now, but I can imagine that myself at 15 might not have thought so.